Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Farewell, Sheila

My phone rang first thing in the morning: 

Me: Hello?
Mom: Whatcha doin?
Me: Trying to get the big kids ready. What's up?

Mom: Oh *pause* well you can call me back.
Me: What's the matter?
Mom: Nothing, just a question. It's stupid, never mind. 
Me: What, mom?
Mom: Um, is there a famous woman named Phylicia?
Me: Like Phylicia Rashad?

Mom: Hmm, I don't think that's it.
Me: Don't think it's what?
Mom: People keep saying goodbye to her. 
Me: *pause* Ma, you mean 'bye Felicia'?
Mom: Yes! Who is that?
Me: It's just a movie reference ma, something old. 
Mom: Ohhh. Ok. *silence* I don't get it.
Me: It just means...um, the character was a nuisance...so the phrase is just kinda used when you're trying to say someone is annoying. So if you want to be rid of them, you'd just say "bye, Felicia."
Mom: Ohhhh, I'm hip to it now. That's funny. 
Me: Yes, it's hilarious *sigh*  I really gotta get the kids ready now.
Mom: Ok, well goodbye Felicia!

Me: No, that's not how you...forget it. Goodbye to you too, Felicia *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Playground rules apply: Speak the way you'd like to be spoken to and if you don't play nice, I'm kicking you off my monkey bars.