Sunday, September 2, 2018

Celebrating Grandparents in a Very Grand Way

Americans love a good made-up holiday. If you think of one thing you like, and even a few you don’t, chances are there’s a holiday honoring it.  Don’t believe me? I checked and a few of them even surprised me: there’s Science Fiction Day, Wear Pajamas to Work Day, World Kissing Day, Jelly Bean Day on April 22nd, and even a National Wine Day (or Friday, as I call it at my house). Long story short, we know how to pick a celebration. Thankfully, one of our more beloved (albeit lesser known) holidays is right around the corner and there’s no time like now to get ready! National Grandparents Day 2018 is scheduled for Sunday, September 9th.
Grandparents are particularly special in our house with such little kids. When my husband and I had children, we knew fostering a generational connection was a priority. There’s so much wisdom to be passed down, love to be shared, free babysitting to be done when you make grandparents a central part of your children’s lives. There was only one problem. Our parents were 400 (and in my case, 800) miles away. How do you ensure faraway loved ones are able to stay in the loop when you’re not right up the block?

Gone are the days when family units made up entire neighborhoods. Aunt Karen lived 2 streets over, grandma was a 10-minute jog to the east and your favorite cousins lived a stone’s throw from the corner store. With relatives spread out but still wanting to share the very best of our lives, sometimes you have to think outside the box. Luckily, technology works wonders to lessen the emotional distance when grandparents, in particular, aren’t as close as you’d like. Here’s a list of ways my family chooses to stay connected on Grandparent’s Day and every special day in between.

Read more over on Atlanta Area Moms Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Playground rules apply: Speak the way you'd like to be spoken to and if you don't play nice, I'm kicking you off my monkey bars.