Monday, August 14, 2017

Super Black

My kids have been on a superhero kick lately. Superman this, Wonder Woman that, Captain Underpants underpants (🤦🏾‍♀️)...you get my drift.
So when they found Marvel Avengers on one of the cartoon channels yesterday (and they were quiet enough for me to think 2 hungover thoughts), I let them immerse themselves in all things bad-ass and high flying. About 10 minutes into the show, the 7 year old shouts, "He's black!" I turned to see Black Panther un-masked and de-briefing the crew on his latest antics.
Confused, I called her over, "Why does it matter that he's black?"
"I just didn't know," she said, "and he's a superhero. That's cool."
It brought to mind the conversation I had with the littlest one the night before. PJ found out I'd bought a new book for her bedtime routine and was completely over the moon. Throughout my reading she kept clapping for the heroine and noting how, "Her poofs (afro puffs) just like mine!"
It made me smile, but it also re-enforced for me the important notion that children of color need to see themselves represented in the real world *and* in the fantasy world; to know that they are worthy of magic and goodness and fun & fancy.
Even in my house, where I consider myself a pretty good advocate for black books and toys that look like my babies, my kids are still refreshingly surprised when they see black fantasy characters. That means there's a need and a desire to feel included that's not being satisfied in general.
And I don't know if this is so much a Facebook-worthy status (as it deviates from my typically humorous dysfunction) but it *is* a reminder for anyone still on the fence. It's vital to see yourself represented and accounted for. And love of self is not hatred for anything else, it's necessary. If I can't love me and value my own presence how can I give back to my community or to the world at large? What's scary is thinking that I have to assert my humanity so regularly, and to humanize my children for the masses so that they're not seen as threats. They're babies.
So in my house it is important that they're constantly reminded that black is beautiful - we say it loud and often - because not everyone comprehends that yet. I want my children to love themselves so much that everything they touch reflects that love and confidence and strength; that's something I'll try my hardest to instill in them as long as I can. Because their father & I are the ones charged with building them up so much that nothing this ugly world throws at them can break them down.
And if any of this makes you feel uncomfortable or even angers you, hell, just know the problem ain't me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Playground rules apply: Speak the way you'd like to be spoken to and if you don't play nice, I'm kicking you off my monkey bars.