Monday, March 18, 2019

Showtime

This girl, always doing things her own way, but making waves nonetheless. Ashton is in her first play this week. “I’m a town crier, mom,” she said initially.
“No,” I replied, “you’re Town Crier number TWO. You have a title, get it right.”
She rolled her eyes at first, but I heard her laugh walking away. She struggles regularly with what lots of little girls do, wanting to be special and stand out but still somehow not appear any “different” than the rest. I know the feeling. And it’s a hard one to shake. But this time, bravery won out. She auditioned for the school chorus last year, even though many of her friends didn’t think twice about it and she even went out for a leading role when the play was announced. She didn’t let not getting that leading role get her down either. That resilience will come in handy.


Growing up, I had a bad habit of letting my nerves dictate my path. I hope to teach her that’s no way to live though.
Ashton’s so excited to be making her debut this week and I can’t wait to see her up on that stage. It won’t always be easy to stand out from the crowd I know but I hope she remembers that whether she’s on stage or just in the peanut gallery, the type of light she’s got...she’s bound to shine no matter what.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Playground rules apply: Speak the way you'd like to be spoken to and if you don't play nice, I'm kicking you off my monkey bars.