Friday, August 26, 2016

Smoke & Mirrors

Sometimes around late afternoon, usually after a surprisingly uneventful family outing, I’ll look at my babies playing together kindly. I’ll observe as they gesture comically to one another and discuss really “important” things amongst themselves; their murmured chatter and secretive giggling a soft hum creating a personal soundtrack to my day’s end.



I’ll smile and watch them closely, listening intently as they relate to one another, and it never fails there’s one thought that always occurs to me:


What the f#%k are they talking about?!



It wasn’t until I had children that I realized how downright strange kids could be. I don’t even mean with them biting everything they can get their hands on, or wanting to sniff one another’s butt like “the neighbor’s dog that one time.” It’s their insane questions. My kids seriously ask the weirdest questions. I try not to let it get to me, but sometimes it really just throws me for a loop.

I lay in bed the other night, after a particularly inquisitive day, and it suddenly hit me. It’s not just the questions, they have quite a few weird habits too.  And now that I’ve thought about it, this behavior was nothing new. In fact, it was oddly familiar. And then I remembered why I recognized it. My kids were exactly like the stoners I knew in college! 


---
Read more from this post over at Atlanta.CityMomsBlog.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Playground rules apply: Speak the way you'd like to be spoken to and if you don't play nice, I'm kicking you off my monkey bars.